The Statistics Research and Information Directorate (SRID) was created in 1999 in response to Civil Service Law (PNDC Law 135 of 1985) that requires
for a Statistics and Information Directorate within the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MOFA). The Directorate (SRID) is mandated to collect, analyze
and disseminate agricultural information to support the policy and decision-making process of various stakeholders, in particular, those in the
agricultural sector. There are four divisions, each performing different roles to achieve the overall mandate at the directorate; The Agricultural Statistics
and Census Unit, The Marketing Services Unit, The ICT and Data Management Unit and Research Unit.
• Producing demand-driven and quality agricultural statistics
• Maintaining sustainability in agricultural statistics production and dissemination.
• Exhibiting professionalism and international best practices in agricultural statistics production.
• Promoting standardization and harmonization across directorates, districts and other agencies that collect and disseminate agricultural related statistics in the country.
• Promoting effective coordination, collaboration, cooperation, information sharing among and between stakeholders in the national agricultural statistics system.
To generate relevant, reliable and timely statistical information on the agricultural sector through the establishment of an operational food and agricultural statistics system within SRID of MOFA.
To provide relevant, accurate and timely agricultural statistics and information for stakeholders to ensure that:
• Agricultural production decisions are based on objective and realistic criteria and;
• Agricultural statistics generated for policy formulation, planning, project implementation, monitoring and evaluation are efficiently communicated within MOFA and the general public.
• To conduct Annual Crop and Livestock Survey to generate area planted, yield and production of various crops and livestock population.
• Report on current food situation in the country, on a quarterly basis.
• Prepare an annual crop budget for major commodities.
• To conduct annual market surveys to provide information on commodity prices at the farm gate, wholesale and retail levels, agricultural input prices and transport charges on commodities.
• Prepare weekly and monthly price data on major food commodities and agro-inputs.